Drivers in Indiana are cited for traffic violations and must deal with the prospect of paying fines, attending traffic school and accepting higher insurance premiums. Depending on your specific traffic violation, you could have your driver's license revoked. It's not easy dealing with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) on your own. The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) assigns points for certain driving infractions, and too many points can lead to a driver’s license suspension or even designation as a habitual traffic offender.
Some traffic violations are more serious than others. Some tickets require nothing more than paying a fine or attending traffic school. Other violations can be very serious and require an attorney to navigate the system. Otherwise, the violator could end up losing their driving privilege, paying a high fine, or even losing their freedom.
At the Cole Law Firm LLC, we do not underestimate the seriousness of speeding tickets, equipment violations, commercial driver's license violations and more. Our clients come to us because we have built a reputation for getting results.
Common Traffic Violations in Indiana
Criminal traffic violations in Indiana cover a wide range in Indiana. Some of the most common traffic violation cases we handle include:
- Excessive speeding
- Reckless driving
- Driving with a suspended license
- Construction zone violations
- OWI charge
- Driving with a suspended driver's license
- Habitual traffic violator offender
- Hit & run
- Leaving the scene of an accident
We also handle boating infractions that occur on Lake Michigan and Indiana’s other lakes and rivers. Common types of boating violations include:
- Boating while intoxicated
- Excessive speed
- Recklessly operating a watercraft
- Violating no-wake or no-boating zones
- Life preserver violations
- Watercraft registration violations
You may be cited and think you have no choice but to pay a fine and face other consequences. However you do have choices and we can fight on your behalf and strive to get the ticket or charge dismissed. In many cases, we help clients minimize the impact of the traffic or boating violation.
Penalties for traffic violations in Indiana
Many serious traffic violations in Indiana often result in significant fines and points on your driver's license, which can result in your driver's license being suspended or revoked. In certain extreme cases, you could even be incarcerated for months or years.
Penalties for Traffic Violations:
- Reckless driving - A Class B misdemeanor. No more than 180 days in jail. No more than $1,000 fine.
- Driving without a license - If you are found guilty of this charge, which Indiana classifies as a Class C Misdemeanor, you could be jailed for up to 60 days, fined up to $500 or both.
- Driving with a suspended driver's license - Driving with a suspended license can result in a driver's license suspension for a minimum of 90 days and maximum of 2 years.
The penalties can be equally severe for an OVWI conviction in Indiana. Traffic convictions can reach into every part of your life – your finances, your license, your employment, even your freedom can be affected by the outcome of your case. Choose the Cole Law Firm LLC, we have the experience in all matters of traffic defense.